Saturday, December 13, 2008

In the few days before her in-laws visit

1. Panic
2. Assess the aesthetic environment, realize house looks like it was decorated by a 5 year-old with a flair for the eclectic
3. Wake at 3 am and obsess about what Mother-in-law will think of the paint squares on the living room walls
4. Panic when Maria the house cleaner is not able to clean the house, and get one of her best friends to Windex the windows
5. Obsessively wipe the lint and dust collected on the washer and dryer, even though I know Mother-in-law won’t go into the laundry room
6. Wake at 3 am and obsess over what meals to serve in-laws, especially the one with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
7. Buy fancy plug in air freshener to mask the “big dog” smell lingering, even after the house cleaners were able to make it before impending visit
8. Vacuum the sofa bed with best friend who the other day Windexed the windows, then ask her to Febreeze the curtains
9. Shop for non-spicy groceries at the peak of the “after work” shopping traffic
10. Wake at 3 am and obsess over sleeping arrangements, “should we put her in our room, and risk her finding things I bought at the Pure Romance party?”
11. Absolutely do not let 5 year-old son play with any toys in the living room, while forgetting that the mess in his room will make it impossible to access his closet
12. Start drinking wine an hour before they arrive

“Oh, your not staying the night?”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa, I'm getting scared of you and Monica, because you both seem to have my "to do" lists ... I've done this list - even sent it to S to be sure I wasn't exaggerating ... nope! LOL! Today you should be free ... I hope unscathed ... and "10" cracks both of us up here ... ;)

Shannon said...

Please remember the horns you sent to Colin (They are hanging upstairs, thanks!) your mother-in-law bought them at some point in her life she bought that! Quit worring!