Formerly and known as "what would Jamie do" also known as "What-Ya Oughtta-Do....Because Jamie for whatever reason...has forsaken this blog space, so now the "closet" which is a fabricated figment of her imagination (which also is technically not qualified to write anything, but considers itself fairly organized, and talented) will take over the postings henceforth.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
when her dogs decide to play with a bird
This morning I am a bit hungover, as I decided to drink a lot of wine on July 4th because it is Brian's birthday and he is in Afghanistan. So, with that said I was not quite up to par, especially to chase to dogs around the backyard first thing in the morning. I opened the back door to let them out for the morning pee, and I see a big black grackle bird. I thought that the bird would fly away once the door opened, but birds being small minded creatures, this one decided to merely hop away a couple of feet around the corner of the garage. (Side note: Darby is a retriever breed, Henry is a mutt breed, with some retriever sprinkled in.) In the second it took for me to open the door, Darby bolts out around the corner, Henry is hesitating as he usually does, and as I am trying to coax Henry out the door, Darby comes back bouncing proudly with the grackle in his mouth. I have seen this before; Darby instinctively has a soft grip on the bird and will drop it if I tell him too, pure mechanics as he won't do anything else I ever ask him to do. So I am telling Darby to "DROP IT" and Henry bursts out, grabs the bird, and now Darby is chasing him around the yard. Keep Away is the dogs favorite game and it is "on." I am yelling "Henry DROP IT," with no effect, because I never insisted that Henry actually go through the PetSmart training course. Now James is outside, "Mom, what does Henry have in his mouth? is that a bird?" I have cornered Henry and proceed to pry his mouth open, trying to avoid actually touching the bird, and the bird drops out and feebly hops away, then Darby gets him. I say "DROP IT," he drops it, Henry gets it. This goes on about three more times; chase, me prying open Henry's death grip, Darby grabs, chase, "DROP IT," etc. James is on the steps watching this, making comments like "Mom I think Henry likes the bird. I think he is going to marry that bird." Finally I realize that I am getting nowhere, so I get Darby and James inside, then let Henry play with the bird. As I pour James a bowl of Lucky Charms, I decide that perhaps feeding the dogs will distract them away from the bird. It works, as it always does. I let my coffee cool on the counter, and with the dogs and James inside enjoying their breakfast, I go out and with a small shovel, toss the stupid bird over the fence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
what is the lesson here? don't drink wine on the fourth. drink beer which is much more american and enables you to properly deal with pet difficulties the next morning. ;o)
You were due your vino - celebrating Brian's birthday w/o him must have been hard. :(
However, I am still LMAOing over this post, as it IS what it is - hilarious! James is so astute! :)
Post a Comment